Uchenna Harrison, a security guard, was electrocuted while he was attempting to pluck pawpaw from a tree at his workplace in the Abule Oshun area of Lagos.
The 56-year-old and four other security men were reportedly on duty when the incident happened. It was gathered that he was hungry; without informing his colleagues, he went to get some pawpaw.
Harrison was reported to have used a ladder to reach the top of the pawpaw tree, and after climbing it, he used an iron rod to pluck the fruit.
A resident, Jubril Adesoji, said Harrison mistakenly used an iron rod to unknowingly touch a naked wire that passed through the tree.
“The shock he suffered during the electrocution threw him away from the ladder, and he landed on the ground. He died on the spot,” he added.
A source revealed that Harrison’s remain was later found around the PawPaw tree.
The source said, “Initially, his colleagues were searching for him until one of them suggested that they should check him around the pawpaw tree. When they got there around 10 pm, his corpse was found lying on the floor. About five of the security guards were on duty on that day. From what we gathered, his corpse was deposited in the Badagry General Hospital mortuary.”
CSP Muyiwa Adedoji, The State Police Public Relation Officer, confirmed the story, he said,
“Investigation by the DPO, SP Olanrewaju Smith, revealed that he was using an iron rod to pluck some of the pawpaws on a tree located near an electric pole and was electrocuted. The corpse has been deposited in a mortuary.”